Applied Research + Evaluation is dedicated to helping to build strong, innovative communities, organizations, and educational programs that positively impact our environment and society. We help governmental agencies, educational institutions and not-for-profit organizations achieve social impact through consulting and technical assistance in research and evaluation.
We have expertise in several areas of educational, social, and environmental interest. They include ocean and environmental science; youth development; science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) education; informal science education; public health; workforce development; and women and underrepresented groups in STEM career pathways.
The firm was founded in 1992 by Julie Shattuck, M.A. and is headquartered in Santa Cruz, California south of San Francisco and the Silicon Valley. We have 22 years of experience working with a broad range of organizations and proficiency with qualitative and quantitative research methodologies and procedures. Our utilization-focused evaluations provide extensive documentation of program outcomes and include clear, action-oriented process improvement recommendations. We conduct both small, short-term projects and large-scale, multi-year evaluation projects. All research and evaluation studies are designed and conducted by lead investigator Julie Shattuck with the assistance of highly skilled research associates. Studies are aligned with the best practices established by the American Evaluation Association’s Guiding Principles for Evaluators and the Joint Committee on Evaluation Standards.
- 15 October, 201215 October, 2012
We recently partnered with two... Read More ⇒
- 07 June, 2011Evaluation of the Salinas Valley Consortium for Sustainable Energy, Education, and Research funded by the National Science Foundation007 June, 2011
In collaboration with UC Santa... Read More ⇒
- 06 June, 2011Study of Kidpower International’s “Everyday Safety Skills” yields evidence demonstrating effectiveness006 June, 2011
Kidpower is a national and int... Read More ⇒
- 08 May, 2011Study of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s Aquarius: If Reefs Could Talk undersea mission targets broader impact goals008 May, 2011
We completed a study of th... Read More ⇒
- 13 April, 2011UC Santa Cruz Engineering Department’s Remote Laboratory for Renewable Energy funded by the National Science Foundation013 April, 2011
It is widely recognized that w... Read More ⇒