Applied Research + Evaluation provides strategic evaluation consulting and applied social research to organizations positioned to create social and environmental impact on local, regional, and national levels.
We work in partnership with organizations to evaluate the outcomes and impacts of their programs, grants, and investments. Studies are designed to generate evidence to make data-driven decisions and establish a culture of evidence-based planning and policy-making. Our expertise includes several areas of educational, social, and environmental interest. They include ocean and environmental science; science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) education; workforce development; informal science education; youth development; and public health.
The firm was founded by Julie Shattuck, M.A. and is headquartered in Santa Cruz, California south of San Francisco and the Silicon Valley. We have 22 years of experience working with non-profit and governmental agencies and proficiency with qualitative and quantitative research methodologies and procedures. We conduct both small, short-term projects and large-scale, multi-year evaluation projects. All research and evaluation studies are designed and conducted by lead investigator Julie Shattuck with the assistance of highly skilled research associates. Studies are aligned with the best practices established by the American Evaluation Association’s Guiding Principles for Evaluators.
- 10 October, 201610 October, 2016
The Monterey Bay Aquarium's Se... Read More ⇒
- 15 October, 201215 October, 2012
We recently partnered with two... Read More ⇒
- 07 June, 2011Evaluation of the Salinas Valley Consortium for Sustainable Energy, Education, and Research funded by the National Science Foundation007 June, 2011
In collaboration with UC Santa... Read More ⇒
- 06 June, 2011Study of Kidpower International’s “Everyday Safety Skills” yields evidence demonstrating effectiveness006 June, 2011
Kidpower is a national and int... Read More ⇒
- 08 May, 2011Study of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s Aquarius: If Reefs Could Talk undersea mission targets broader impact goals008 May, 2011
We completed a study of th... Read More ⇒